Friday, January 8, 2010

When I eat fresh pineapple, it makes my lips really sore...?

Does this happen to anyone else? Anyone know why?


Thanks! :)When I eat fresh pineapple, it makes my lips really sore...?
It's a combo of the acidity of the pineapple juice and pineapple is so sweet it could be the sugar . But I am thinking more of the acidity. Does this happen with fresh oranges and lemons ?When I eat fresh pineapple, it makes my lips really sore...?
pineapple and mangoes have properties similar to sumac or poison ivy, resulting in allergic rashes around the mouth, eyes, cheeks, and genitalia if the urushiol oil is spread.





That is a direct quote from this book. http://www.springerlink.com/content/d310鈥?/a>





I have the same problem. It may help to eat with a fork and avoid contact with the skin of the fruit. It helped me but a friend of mine is slightly more sensitive to it and this does not seem to help her. I get the rash when I contact the skin of the fruits she gets it if she just eats any of it. Strange and well kind of stinks because we love the fuits we love you know.
It is the acid in the fruit that causes the mouth or lips to become sore. I heard putting salt on it will help but I do not like to add salt to most foods since we get so much. If you limit the amount of this type of fruit you should be fine. If it gets worse than time to speak with a doctor. if you used canned you will find you will not have this problem.
Gosh this happens to me sometimes too with fresh pineapple , I just put it down to the acid content . However it doesn't always happen so maybe the acidity varies on the fruit . It doesn't stop me eating them as I love fresh pineapple and in fact bought one yesterday
I have this problem, with apples and other fruit as well. I think it probably has something to do with a mixture of sensitive skin and the acidity of the fruit.
When I was pregnant I could not eat fresh pineapple for the same reason, my mouth would get sore, but after I had the baby I could eat fresh pineapple with no problems.





I think your body is reacting to the acidity.
The acid in it is to blame. For some reason, this happens to me with all citrus and bananas too. It even gives me a sore throat.
are they chapped?? i know that happens when i eat oranges blistex them and you should be fine
I really do not know why but i have the same problems

No comments:

Post a Comment